Sunday, December 4, 2011

Hyacinth and Hibiscus

It was a few months later, when I was sitting down at the table one morning writing down a to-do list. Flynn and I lived a simple lifestyle filled with everyday household chores and yard work. We didn't have television or a computer, so we spent most of our days just keeping ourselves busy until the baby was born.
 "To-do list:

  • Clean kitchen
  • Scrub bathroom floor
  • Make beds
  • Do laundry 
  • Fix lawn mower
  • Weed garden
  • Take trash out"

 Flynn woke up a bit later than I did and eventually joined me at the dining room table. He was an avid book reader and enjoyed reading the classic novels. He would read one book and go right to the next one if I didn't stop him!
 My pregnancy was going quite well, however, I wasn't as big around the stomach as I had expected. My thoughts were that the baby was just small for its size and that it would grow as it got older. I prayed that nothing was wrong with the baby. I never had a chance to see a doctor, so we could only hope that nothing went horribly wrong by the time I had the baby.
 It was eleven in the morning when I started feeling the first of the contractions. I felt a sharp kick and sudden pain shoot up my spine. I cried out for Flynn to come over immediately. I thought something was wrong, but Flynn said it was normal labor pains.

"Flynn, what's going on? Sudden pain? Contraction?" I cried out.

"Babe, you are going to be fine. It's normal pain. The baby is on its way!" Flynn reassured me.
 "FLYNN! IT'S TIME! THE BABY'S COMING!" I screamed as the pain grew more intense.
 It was a baby boy! He was born in a matter of only moments. He was only 3 lbs and 15 inches long. He was born prematurely, but he would be alright if we kept a close eye on him and kept him fed and warm. 

I became more worried as I felt more pain in my abdomen... I began to cry out again...
It turned out...
                     I was pregnant with twins...
                                                              It was unbelievable!
I named the baby boy, Hyacinth and the baby girl, Hibiscus. Two precious flowers. I loved them so much! I couldn't believe I was blessed with twins!
 Hibiscus weighed in at 2 lbs, 2 ounces and her weight scared me because she was so much smaller than Hyacinth. I prayed that they would grow up strong and healthy. I knew that it was going to be hard to raise them, but we knew we could do it.
 The babies slept in our bed until Flynn had gotten a chance to build another crib. He had already built a wooden highchair and small kid's craft table. I hand sewed two cute teddy bears for the twins. Having children brought out the best in us and brought us closer to each other! 
The twins never had major health problems, despite them having been born early. We always kept an eye on them because we didn't want to lose our infants to anything, especially death. But as the days passed, we grew more confident in the health of our babies.

 By the time the twins were almost a year old, we realized that they were very different from each other. Hibiscus was born with bright pink hair and violet highlights and bright big deep purple eyes. Her brother, Hyacinth was born with pale orange eyes and a full head of black hair with orange tips. 
I didn't understand where they got their eyes or hair color from, but later on Flynn reminded me of the genetics of the future. The children took after only one trait of the parent and their genes mutated to what their future soul mates will be. Hibiscus took on my hair color, however, Hyacinth took on the black hair from someone else... 
I thought that he must have taken it on from someone on my mother's or father's side, but Flynn had something else in mind...

"Joviana... I think that Hyacinth is really Damion's son. He doesn't even look a bit like me and Damion had the distinct black hair," he told me.

"But, how is that even possible? That must mean that Hibiscus is also his child, but I wasn't with Damion for more than one time!" I exclaimed.

"Remember, Hibiscus was smaller than Hyacinth and her development was a month or so behind Hyacinth. I think you might have carried two different eggs... We were together just after you were with Damion... remember?" Flynn explained.

"Ooooooooooooh my gosh....," I said with my jaw dropped.

"It's possible," Flynn said.

"That has to be it! Wow, but only you know this, they are both your children!" I said with a grin.

"Oh of course! I love them both as my own!" Flynn smiled.

A month later...
One bright morning after the sun had risen, we heard a loud crash and a bright light flashed through our windows. We were already up feeding the kids, so we picked up the kids and ran down stairs to the front door. We both hesitated, but we opened the door and our eyes opened wide as we looked outside.
Two people, a man and a woman, were standing out in front of the house staring at us. We froze in shock...

It was my mother and father...

8 comments:

  1. I love the idea of different fathers for the twins. Sheds new light on that dream she had. Can't wait to see what her parents are there for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thanks for the comments :) It took me months to think about it! But I finally got to this chapter XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omgg can that really happen?! Have twins but both have different fathers? Either way SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never mind. I totally googled it. Freaky.. My sister's twins look nothing a like. But that's because my mothers genes are to strong and overwrites my brother in laws genes. haha. Funny though. I was like "Oh god" Because for a second there i honestly thought that my Nefuews had different dads. But then i thought. "My sister isn't a Wh***"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol I doubt your sister was a whore... she just had faternal twins which means same dad, different genes. There are times when twins aren't related except by mother, having different fathers. It happens with cats and dogs all the time too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another way that can happen is when the girl is born with two wombs which is very rare.

    ReplyDelete